At St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School, art and design is about enabling our pupils to produce creative work, become proficient in a range of skills and become immersed into the work of artists, craft makers and designers. Children are given opportunities to express their creative imagination, as well as practise and develop mastery in the key processes of art: drawing, painting, printing, textiles and sculpture.
To be artists we believe pupils should;
Have a passion for art and design to become engaged, inspired and challenged.
- Explore and evaluate the work of artists from the past and practising artists, understanding the cultural and historical development of their style as starting point for their own artistic journey.
- Build a creative art book documenting a yearly journey.
- Have confidence and competence in experimenting with artistic techniques, becoming proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Have confidence to create their own final piece, using previous and new skills, creating compositions that reflect a theme.
- Be a critical artist, suggesting strengths and areas for development with their own final piece.
- Be provided with opportunities to undertake visits to galleries, exploring a range of artistic styles.